Saturday, January 27, 2007

SHOCK THAT KILLER HAS NOT BECOME LOVELY BOY

Moenui residents were today expressing shock that New Zealand's youngest killer, Bailey Junior Kurariki, "remains a risk to others and has a distorted understanding of society," despite five years in prison.
"Gosh, I'm flabbergasted. When I read what the parole board had to say I c
ould scarcely believe it," said Dorothy Snoodle. "I would have thought 5 years in prison would have given the 12 year old a profound empathy for others and a strong sense of community."
Enid Thock who runs a cattery told the Kiwi Herald that she had thought "prison was the ideal place to develop a love of
small animals and a desire to care for the disadvantaged. But really, having read the parole board' s comments about this young boy I'd think twice about sharing a pizza with a convicted murderer."
Local beneficiary Rod Mahi said that having read the news he would now seriously reconsider his future.
"I had been planning to go to prison myself in the hope of becoming a better person and gaining a deeper understanding of society. I'd actually hoped to use that understanding to become a social commentator or journalist when I got out but now I'm wondering. I mean is the prison course not very good or did that kid not learn because he wasn't paying attention?"

Most residents expressed incomprehension at the parole board's finding that Kurariki's time in prison has not helped him to "understand the dynamic factors that underpinned his offending."
Speaking from the Sports Bar of the Masonic Hotel, Frank Lush told our reporter "I'm having enough problem understanding the dynamics involved in why I just went in-off off the black without making sense of what makes me what I am."

No comments: